Monday, February 1, 2010

Greetings from the sticks!

Well, after a few long days and up-in-the-air plans, I finally made it here.

The trip itself was fine; it was nice to spend some time (a lot of time) with Ro before she flew back up to New York. But fifteen hours in the Cobalt, four of which were spent driving through heavy snow, were a bit tiring. Yesterday afternoon, I dropped Mom off at Louisville, then drove down to Rockcastle house, where the very hospitable ladies there saw to it that I got some much-needed rest. Finally, this morning, I came here to Jackson County and set up my new room. And it feels great :)

You know, God's a funny Guy. Most of you know that I'd applied to AmeriCorps*NCCC before I applied to CAP. It's a very competitive and fast-paced program, and I'd have given just about anything to be accepted. After an interview with them, I was told that I'd been waitlisted. Frankly, I considered it a moral victory; I knew of many more qualified people who'd also been waitlisted, and at least I hadn't been rejected, right?

Last year when I came down to Kentucky with some friends to work with CAP for a week, something really resonated with me here. I can't put my finger on exactly what it was. All I can say is that since I left, I felt a piece of me was still up in these hills. So, after I was waitlisted for NCCC, I decided to fill out an application for CAP. As I was answering their questions, I realized more and more that this was right for me. I wanted to immerse myself in my work while being able to maintain my relationships with those around me and with God. I came to understand that, really, Kentucky is exactly the place to which I was being called. And the apprehension and second-guessing that came along with my efforts for NCCC evaporated. When I arrived at the CAP offices for my interview, I was absolutely certain, and I don't think I've really stopped smiling since then.

I'd just finished unpacking all of my things into my tiny, but cozy, room when I got the voicemail from AmeriCorps asking if I'd enter their NCCC program this month, and the text from my brother saying that they'd called the house, also. I had to laugh. A couple of months ago, I'd have cried tears of joy upon receiving such a message. Such was not the plan, though. And I'm so immensely grateful that God burned that particular bridge for me.

I can't wait to get started here, and I'll keep you all posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment